2 min read
Weeknotes 2021.00: Late to the party
January 4, 2021
- I am jumping on the weeknotes bandwagon. I’m in good company, and I’ve been inspired by good people, particularly Tom, Chris, and Paul.
- Done a lot of walking so far in 2021, we’ve been out walking along the beach at Hythe, and spent multiple trips to Leeds Castle. Leeds castle is our lifeline at the moment during lockdown winter - somewhere that’s accessible with a pram, easy to keep yourself distant from other people, fun for the kids, but also has toilets, baby changing facilities and somewhere to get coffee and food.
- My friend Richard sent me a bottle of Pilot’s barrel aged double mocchachino stout before Christmas and I drank it on New Years Day. It was absolutely astounding, but at 12.5% I’m glad it only came in a 250ml bottle.
- I got a box of random bits arrive in the post a while ago from Shopify. A fun gesture and a load of new swag. I finally decided to try the lounge trousers on over the holidays despite being very resistant to the idea of loungewear as a concept, and I think I might be a convert. Turns out that elasticated ankles make all the difference for me.
- I wrote and published my reflections on 2020. A surprisingly fun process given how crappy the year has been. It has been nice to remind myself of some of the things we acheived in amongst the quagmire of crap.
- I think I might be getting into tea. Liz bought me a selection of Ceylon from Shibui, a super cool tea shop she found in Edinburgh. I am busy brewing and trying them all. I opened a Ceylon Nuwara Eliya, which had largest leaves of any tea I’ve had before, but I think my favourite so far is still Ceylon Silver Kandy. Reading up about tea grading scales and man, that shit is arbitrary!
- My grandma died from COVID-19 in her nursing home on Sunday 3rd. She tested positive just before Christmas, so we’ve been desperately hoping she would pull through. She was 90 years old.